About 'International Superblogs!'

I am currently able to translate from: Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian and a little of Korean and Spanish. The translations are in no way perfect, as I am still learning, but if you do notice any mistakes, please let me know.

I hope you enjoy the translations!

Wednesday 4 August 2010

Ip Man (2008)


I have to admit, I bought this film on a whim. I'd heard one of my Chinese friend talking about this film for ages and ages, and I was in a Sainsbury's buying some sweets one Tuesday in January, after going to a Japanese class with my boyfriend, when I saw 'Ip Man' staring up at me from the DVD section. I was immediately in need of the film. For a start Donnie Yen was starring, and he was in Jet Li's 'Hero' and he is AMAZING. Therefore I spent money, and I was the proud owner of CineAsia's DVD.

Anyway, we went back to my boyfriend's house, made a pizza and some home-cooked chips, and sat down to watch 'Ip Man'. All I'd ever heard about Ip Man, and not the film, was that he was the first man in China to teach Wing Chun openly, and he taught many people, including the famous Bruce Lee. Now, I've had a try at Wing Chun, it's lots of fun (but expensive.. one day I will start again) and it takes a lot of mindset as well as training.

The film is a semi-biographical martial arts film about the life of Yip Man in the city of Foshan (funnily enough, where my friend is from!) during the Second Sino-Japanese War. The filming, though, was done in Shanghai and the crew architecturally recreated a 1930s Foshan quite well I would believe.

It begins with the background of many southern Chinese martial arts schools all fighting against each other and trying to gain as many disciples as possible. Although Ip Man is the most skillful of them all, he keeps a low profile, trains no disciples, as he already has enough money and a good family (this all changes); this sets the beginning tone of the film... I don't have to say that both my boyfriend and I love our Asian Histories, so we were hooked... (my boyfriend's a Japanophile, so the Japanese side to this film enticed him too, even though the film is very anti-Japanese).

Next, the Japanese invaded in 1937, and Ip's home is claimed and used as the Japanese headquarters (what a slap in the face); Ip and Co. are forced to move to a decrepit home and he's forced to support his family by working at a coal mine. It is here where we learn the Japanese colonel Miura is looking for skilled Chinese martial artists to fight against his troops to train them up, in return for a bag of rice for each opponent they defeat.

Ip Man's friend goes missing, so he investigates the situation, and learns many of the Chinese Martial Arts Masters are fighting there, also a police officer, Li Zhao is working as a translator. This is where Ip fights at least 10 Karatekas and totally kicks their asses, interesting Miura (epic fight scene ensues). The scene was amazingly choreographed, and I have been known to rewind it and watch it again, before moving on.

Anyway throughout the film, you grow to the love the character of 'Ip Man', due to his quiet, and humble way of dealing with things, the sheer anger and emotions he feels when he sees the fights between the Japanese and his people... especially during the fight between himself and General Miura, which is such an amazing fight.

I felt a tear in my eye when Master Liu dies, and I heard my boyfriend gasp too, the actors did such a good job of this scene, including the same one where Lin dies, as we grew to love the cheery character that is Lin... these tears were recalled to, when Ip Man finds Lin's younger brother and tells him that Lin has died. I cried along with him.

The audience really gets a feel of how powerless the Chinese must have felt during those eight years, especially when Ip Man goes to buy some rice. Then he was forced to find a job, despite his detached demeanour, we really see how much Ip Man cares about his family, his friends, and those around him, during fights, and how he always helps others.

Overall, it was a really moving film, despite the film's very "anti-Japanese" sentimentality, and Donnie Yen fights so well, and his martial arts style is so fluid in contrast to his usual razor sharp and quick style. A downside was the film told more about what Ip Man could do, and not about who he was as a person... but that's not really what most Martial Arts enthusiasts want to see.... but I really advise you to see this film, as its fight scenes are engaging and brilliant, the narrative keeps your attention and I give Donnie Yen and his co-stars a big two thumbs up for all the effort in the fights and acting.

Emily Russell


-------------------------------------------------------

The views in this article are in no way meant to offend or upset any of the intended audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment