About 'International Superblogs!'

I am currently able to translate from: Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian and a little of Korean and Spanish. The translations are in no way perfect, as I am still learning, but if you do notice any mistakes, please let me know.

I hope you enjoy the translations!

Friday 30 July 2010

HIM: My Sweet 666


Alright yeah, I'm a sucker when it comes to rock bands... but HIM they are something else. Behind every HIM lyric that Ville Valo writes, I find such a beautiful relative meaning, and sentimentality. Hailing from Helsinki, Finland, HIM released their first album in the UK in 1997 'Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666'. But I didn't fully get into them until the release of their single 'Wings of a Butterfly' in 2005. Ville Valo sings about showing your love by hurting a butterfly... yeah it sounds violent, but Ville Valo's angelic voice smoothes over that, and embraces you with his baritone vocals. On hearing such beautiful poetry, for that's what I believe it is, 'Wings of a Butterfly' sparked an interest that continued all the way till the present, and I instantly listened to the previous albums, falling in love especially with 'Razorblade Romance'.

The song 'Razorblade Romance' sends shudders down my back upon hearing the chorus, Ville Valo's strong voice zapping down the spine, and serenading the very core of your soul and body. Although the song suggests that the relationship is a difficult one, with sharp edges, but filled with a deep love, that goes beyond all understanding.

The years went on by, and it came to February 2010, and 'Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice' was released... and it was a stepping point for me. Every song moved me, just as every other HIM song had. Upon hearing the opening lines of 'In Venere Veritas' right up until the last lines of 'The Foreboding Sense of Impending Happiness', 'Screamworks' managed to lull my ears and I had to listen to it all over again, and again, and again, and again, and again....

I could go on for hours about many of HIM's song, as Ville Valo has never written a bad song. But 'Your Sweet 666', 'Razorblade Romance', 'Funeral of Hearts', 'Wings of a Butterfly', 'Vampire Heart', 'In Venere Veritas', 'Heartkiller' and 'Love, The Hardest Way' have been pinpoints to many of my pick me ups... in total contrast of my in-your-face therapy of Green Day, HIM have the talent to lull the senses, the lyrics enough to make you cry with their beauty and sentiment.

If you want a beautiful but distorted sound... then HIM is the one for you. I'd write so much more... but in all honesty... 'nuff said.

Emily Russell


--------------------------------------


These views are entirely the opinions of the author and mean no offence to the intended audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment