About 'International Superblogs!'

I am currently able to translate from: Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian and a little of Korean and Spanish. The translations are in no way perfect, as I am still learning, but if you do notice any mistakes, please let me know.

I hope you enjoy the translations!

Thursday 29 July 2010

What Green Day Are To Me




Oh yeah... you know who I'm talking about. I'm not kidding... no matter how many times I listen to the many albums that are the gems we know them for, Green Day definitely have sentimental value to me. They may be from a totally different tree to the Sex Pistols, but they have the same values and attitudes that their punk rock grandaddies did. They have the raw sound that kids who love rock music look for, even though they can sound slightly poppy, but who doesn't love a song that everyone knows the words to? Take Bon Jovi's 'Livin' on a Prayer' for example...

From their release of the EP 1,000 Hours in 1989, right up until 2009's 21st Century Breakdown, Green Day have been warming the hearts and entertaining thousands of music lovers, young and old, with their memorable numbers such as 'Basket Case' right down to '21 Guns'.

The lead singer and songwriter, Billie Joe Armstrong, with his many talents, has managed to write songs just about anything, ranging from masturbation on the album Dookie, to political statements against the ex-president George Bush on American Idiot. Each one, no matter how silly or how heartfelt, has a background of feeling, be it angst or boredom, and Armstrong showed his serious side when he penned that all-time classic 'Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)'. He not only showed his softer more openly sensitive side, but it showed he wasn't afraid to commit punk's biggest sin.... using an acoustic guitar!! It was so un-punk... it actually was punk!!

If you asked what Green Day as a band meant to me, you'd get my general answer of "They are the most amazing band I have had the honour to hear." But that's not all Green Day are. To me they're life savers. If it weren't for their whole discography, I'd have never gotten into many bands I've come to love today, as well as the fact I'd have probably given up trying to play the guitar years ago... but thankfully, Green Day's songs were so catchy, I just HAD to play them on guitar.

Seeing them live (albeit with my Dad, I have no shame for this, my Dad loves Green Day!!) for the first time at NEC, Birmingham, was probably the best concert I have seen to date, and I remember how ecstatic and energised I was to hear the songs I knew and loved, live and blasting in the air around me. It must fill the Green Day trio's hearts with joy to hear so many people singing back the songs they've put their souls into writing at them. Especially the ones that Armstrong wrote that hit home more than others.

To put it out there to you all, I'm not saying you have to like Green Day, but in order to understand why they mean so much to so many, maybe just take the time to listen to some of the songs that have touched so many different hearts. Sit back and listen to the hauntingly beautiful 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' from American Idiot, the chorus opening up Armstrong's soul out for everyone to look in and see the raw pain that can exist in every heart. Relax and listen to the beauty that is 'Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)', taking in the anger that Armstrong had over an ex-girlfriend upping and leaving him, despite him singing about decisions that needed to be made, and yet again letting his audience see the real Armstrong.

But of course, Green Day's not only about the hard times, Green Day's earlier triumphant songs bring about an energy that can turn even my darkest mood into a grin. The song that has always been able to achieve this was 'Basket Case' from Dookie, the sheer energy and meaning behind the lyrics have always struck home, talking about neuroticism and melodramatic fools, the 3:03 minutes that is 'Basket Case', beautifully distorted angry chords, machine-gun drumming and catchy basslines make the song into what was the biggest thing to happen to the music world... it's thought that if it weren't for the magic that was 'Basket Case', there might never have been a pop-punk movement! God forbid! Half my iTunes library consists of these bands!!

Two decades down the line, and Billie Joe... we still have the time, to listen to you whine.

Emily Russell
--------------------------------------------

The views in this article are in no way meant to offend or upset any of the intended audience

No comments:

Post a Comment